Sunday, August 28, 2011

Connor's Day 2

Amazement


His first night, I was exhausted, but the adrenaline and excitement was keeping me going. I tried to rest while he slept, but I was also in so much pain. My swelling got to be extremely painful and I had a hard time even laying in bed. Just getting out of bed to waddle to the bathroom was horrible and I needed 2 people to help me. I couldn't even look down as I sat on the toilet because it scared me too much. The first two times I got up, I was shaking and very nauseous so the nurses had to help me from falling over. Between the pain, the thought of what things looked like, and the exhaustion, it was too much for me to handle. But the nurses were great about pumping up the pain meds and giving me ice diapers every few hours.

Connor woke up 2 or 3 times during his first night and I was able to nurse until he went back to sleep. Amazingly, I was also able to get some sleep between feedings and woke up feeling energized.

In the morning, Hubby helped me take a shower and I was shocked that I was able to do it! While I got dressed, I started to be able to move around a little better, but I was still in a lot of pain. It felt awesome to be clean, dry my hair, put on some makeup, and get back to feeling more normal.
Daddy & Connor while Mommy got dressed

During the day, I nursed when he was hungry and loved just staring at his little face and watching his emotions change every few seconds. The more I stared, the more amazed I was. His extremely long & skinny fingers are JUST like mine! Even the nurses were shocked by how cold his toes were when the rest of his body was warm...just like his Mommy! And I started to notice that his nose and eyes looked very similar to mine as well. I never imagined having another person (besides my sister) that looked like me. It's just the most wonderful feeling!

Connor with his first gift after birth from Aunt Julie & his grandparents

Our nurses were absolutely amazing and came in to check on me all day and night. The ice diapers became my BFF along with Motrin & Norco meds. I was in so much pain at first and even the nurses commented on how awful it looked. I was too scared to look, but I could tell it was pretty bad just from having to move around and get help just to get out of bed and into the bathroom. Every dose of medicine helped a little more and I started to feel better.

Our celebration dinner
By the second night, reality was starting to set in and I realized I'm finally a mommy!


No comments:

Post a Comment