Monday, August 8, 2011

Quite a scare!

On Sunday we had a really nice spur-of-the-moment day which is totally not like us. We're planners! We went to go see my sister's new house and spent some time with her discussing her wedding plans.

On our way back, Hubby suggested we stop at Old Orchard to eat dinner and do some shopping. Last time we were there, we had an ultrasound in the doctor's office in the mall and I was talking about how I loved The Bagel restaurant. We've been meaning to go there ever since. They also have the BEST pickles of anywhere and he needed to try them! So we ate and then did a little shopping. We picked out Baby's first ever Nike outfit on clearance for $4.97 from Macy's! As we drove home, it started to rain and it was pouring pretty bad when we pulled up to the house.

As I was running into the house, I slipped on the garage floor and fell. I was in shock for a few minutes and couldn't breathe. Once I got up, I was having some pain in my lower stomach and felt really sore where I landed on my butt/hip, wrist, and elbow. I quickly got into bed to make sure the baby was moving and I felt okay. He wasn't moving as much as normal and I was so sore that I couldn't even walk. In the morning, we decided we were too nervous about the baby so I called the doctor. They asked me to go to the hospital to monitor the baby and make sure everything was ok.

I got super scared as soon as I walked into Labor & Delivery and realized this could be it. I was in the actual bed with the real gown on and using the labor & delivery monitors like the baby was going to be born today! We watched the monitors for the baby's heartbeat and contractions for a few hours. The nurse came in and took blood & urine and the doctor stopped by a few times to check on me. He also did an ultrasound to make sure the placenta looked like it was still attached like it should be. After a few hours, he decided it just looked like I had some abdominal bruising and maybe torn ligaments, but the baby looked healthy.

It was a very scary morning, but I think we both felt a lot better making sure everything was good with the baby. It was also kind of a trial run with labor & delivery so it might not be as scary when the real time comes.

The one interesting thing I learned was that I've been having contractions and didn't know it! When they were monitoring me, the doctor showed us how the computers worked and pointed out some hills on the paper that were contractions. What? I didn't know I was having any! I thought it was just the baby stretching! So now I know more about what to expect in the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment