I wrote this post right after I gave birth and just found it now...Still so true!
1. As much as it sounds fun, don't buy all your maternity clothes right away. I know, I know, it's hard when you finally have an excuse to buy new clothes! I figured I'd get a little basketball bump, but I never knew how much my hips and ribcage would expand. Let's just say I had to return a few things (and maybe more than once) because they were too small by the time I went to wear them.
2. Don't buy all maternity clothes that scream,"I'm PG!" The really tight shirts with the elastic on the sides that look super cute with your bump are great when you're pregnant. (Same goes for all the babydoll shirts with the ties in the back) I loved showing off the bump! But you need clothes for after you're pregnant when you're still bigger. It's not fun to wear those bump show-off clothes AFTER you give birth. So buy a few things that look like normal clothes.
3. Enjoy it. Everyone will tell you this and it's true. The weeks go by SO fast and there's so much to think about and plan for. Take the time to enjoy it, sleep, and spend time with your Hubby before your life changes.
4. Morning sickness is not just for first trimester...unless you're lucky. It seems like most people only have it first trimester and then it goes away. Of course, I had it for all three because I'm so special : ) BUT no one tells you that it comes back in third trimester! Just when you think you're starting to feel uncomfortable, it creeps back up!
5. The post-partum healing was so much worse than I ever thought. Maybe I had more swelling than most girls, but it was AWFUL. I couldn't move!
6. The epidural was the best.thing.ever. Once you get it, you feel great! I don't understand how anyone would want to have a drug-free birth when they can be pain-free.
7. Take photos. Lots. Take them during your stay in the hospital, your first week at home, and every day after day. They grow and change so fast that you'll want to look back and remember every precious moment.
8. And going on #7, enjoy every moment. Take a few minutes every day to turn off the tv, computer and cell phone and just spend time with your little one. You'll wish you did this more often.
These are all so true. I will add one - no two pregnancies or births are the same! I did it twice and completely different each time. I hated being pregnant the first time. I was miserable and sick the ENTIRE pregnancy! Labor was induced and although I had an epidural, I was still in pain and it was awful. Recovery was a breeze. With Benjamin - I enjoyed being pregnant so much! I LOVED every second of it. My water broke and the epidural worked. Labor was awesome. The delivery was brutal and the recovery was horrible. I was in pain for weeks and could barely walk.
ReplyDeleteAll the other stuff so true. I agree that you dont want to be wearing maternity clothes after you had the baby. And some people dont realize that all of your grows, not just your belly. I was big all over!