Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Weaning from the pacifier

Connor has always been a big pacifier user, but we have limited it to sleeping for the past year or so.  He doesn't use one at daycare at all, so we know he's capable of sleeping without it.  But he just sleeps SO well that we also don't want to mess anything up!

On Saturday, Connor randomly wanted to carry his Wub pacifiers around in the morning.  He uses MAM pacifiers normally, but he keeps 2 Wubs in his crib for snuggling and occasionally sucks on them.  So anyway, he ended up taking his nap without his MAM pacifier and just with his 2 Wubs.  This was a little shocking to us because he usually asks for his paci, but he didn't seem to mind not having it that day and he just used his Wub instead. 

This situation made me wonder if maybe we could do it again that night without the MAM paci.  Well, it worked!  He was perfectly fine with just his Wubs, so we continued with them all weekend.  On Monday night, he finally asked for his paci and I think he was looking for the MAM that he was used to.  I just gave him his Wub and he went to bed. 

So now the MAMs are hidden and he's going to use just his Wubs for a bit.  My plan is to take one away and just leave one in his bed after awhile.  And then, eventually, we'll take the last one away.  I want this to be very, very slow so he can get used to it and it's not a big shock to him.  I really thought we'd have to wait a little longer to do the pacifier wean, but maybe this will work...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are brave! :-) We had Peachy stop with hers and it went well. I am dreading what Cream will be like. She smiles when we say it is time for bed because she knows she Gert's a pack. I am ready for some long nights. Hope it keeps going well for you.

    ReplyDelete