Friday, December 7, 2012

Toddler Room

Connor has been in the toddler room for a week now and he's doing great!

His new teachers are Ellen, Beatriz, Noemi, and Teri and he still gets to visit his old faves, Catherine and Raheela when he sees them every morning or when they go outside.

Earlier in the week, I had a transition meeting during nap time to meet the teachers and go over their daily schedule and his preferences.  It was really nice to have that time with them instead of trying to rush and have conversations during drop-off and pick-up.  This age is so critical for learning, discipline, sharing and talking, so I really wanted to understand what they do each day.  They have a weekly curriculum of fun games, crafts, learning, outdoor time and life skills which was nice to see.  They said he's doing really well and fitting in great with the other toddlers.  I think he really loves having the independence and being able to climb and play with big kid toys.

This morning, I got to drop him off for the first time in his new room and it just melted my heart!  When we walked in, he said his daily hello to Catherine, his old teacher, and he ran over for a hug.  Then he raced right into the toddler room and started pulling on his coat and hat.  He has a cute little cubby where he stores his things (and I'm confused as to how they get the kids not to touch those all day...)  Just as I've heard from Daddy, he walks right over to the tiny sink where he has to wash his hands while standing on the little step stool.  Teri, the early morning teacher, said he's one of their best eaters and had his cup of milk, quiche, and apricots ready for him.  He grabbed the chair closest to her and started pigging out!  And just like Daddy said, his breakfast is a great distraction to sneak out before he gets upset.  I gave him a kiss and ran out while he stuffed his face!

I'm so, so proud of him for being such a big boy and adapting so well to his new surroundings.  He really loves it there and it's a great feeling to know he's in good hands during the day.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a good transition to the toddler room! (For both you and Connor!) It sounds like a great program you have him in.

    ReplyDelete