Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The appleseed: 5 weeks

Deep in your uterus your embryo is growing at a furious pace. At this point, he's about the size of a sesame seed, and he looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. He's now made up of three layers — the ectoderm, the mesoderm, and the endoderm — which will later form all of his organs and tissues. The neural tube — from which your baby's brain, spinal cord, nerves, and backbone will sprout — is starting to develop in the top layer, called the ectoderm. This layer will also give rise to his skin, hair, nails, mammary and sweat glands, and tooth enamel.

His heart and circulatory system begin to form in the middle layer, or mesoderm. (This week, in fact, his tiny heart begins to divide into chambers and beat and pump blood.) The mesoderm will also form your baby's muscles, cartilage, bone, and subcutaneous (under skin) tissue.
The third layer, or endoderm, will house his lungs, intestines, and rudimentary urinary system, as well as his thyroid, liver, and pancreas. In the meantime, the primitive placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to your baby, are already on the job.

Momma Check-in

How far along? 5 weeks

How big is baby? Besides being the size of an apple seed, I have no idea.

Weight: 105 - same as before BFP

Health:
My morning sickness tends to kick in around 10 am and continue on and off until about 1:00. I'm getting some slight cramping in my right thigh every day, but it's not too bad. I contacted my neurologist to get suggestions on how to tackle migraines during pregnancy.

Maternity Clothes: None yet and still fitting in my normal clothes. I'm trying to wear all my favorite "skinny" clothes one last time!

Sleep: I've been more tired, so I've been going to sleep earlier at night. I have a harder time waking up in the morning and it seems like I'm in a deeper sleep when the alarm goes off.

Best Moment This Week: The news is still hitting me and sometimes I wonder if I'm dreaming!

Movement: none

Planning/Preparation: I am just starting to do research on what to expect in the first trimester.

Belly Button In/Out: in and still with belly button ring

What I Miss: beer - I kinda wish I would have been able to have one last draft before I got my BFP

What I'm Looking Forward To: telling the grandparents on Father's Day

Contractions: obviously none

Next Appointment: June 14 is my first OB ultrasound. So excited!


Obviously, I don't have a baby bump at all yet, but I wanted to add these to remember what it was like to be a size 0 and have a flat stomach. I'll miss you, abs!

It's still very early, so I'm nervous all the time. I wish Monday would just get here already so I can have my ultrasound. Hubby is getting more excited and he's been super great about helping out around the house. All good news to report : )

No comments:

Post a Comment